This module focuses on advanced project-based learning strategies, with an emphasis on developing authentic, rigorous, and engaging projects for pupils. Students will understand the levels of audience and how they relate to student engagement. They will engage in a project-tuning to develop their thinking about project design.
- Understand the link between authentic audience and student engagement
- Develop a design for an advanced project
- Engage in a project-tuning with colleagues
Reading & Response
1. Read “Keeping it Real”, by Heather Riley. Heather introduces six dimensions of grading the authenticity of a project.
Response: Which of these principles most resonates with you right now? What might you refine in your design to make your project more real?
2. Read “Learning as Production, Critique and Assessment”, by Elisabeth Soep. Elisabeth articulates a passionate position for rethinking learning environments to radically shift the roles of adults and young people engaged in learning together. She calls this “collegial pedagogy.”
Response: What feelings or thoughts arise for you as you consider how to implement a collegial pedagogy in your classroom? What conditions are necessary to doing work like this?
3. Read “The Power of Audience”, by Steven Levy. Steven describes the difference between introducing project-oriented learning and project-based learning at the beginning of his article.
Response: What challenges did the teacher face in making the shift? How does introducing an authentic audience change the perception of the work for students?
‘Real Learning, Real Work’, by Adria Steinberg.
WatchREAL Interactive #1: Project Tuning Protocol
Use the Project Process cards to assess a project that you have completed in the past.
Identify an area for improvement and refine your process thinking.
Present your new project plans to a group of colleagues in a project tuning.
Team Task: Reflect as a team. Discuss and moderate differences in how you assess the projects.
What did you learn from the project tuning?
How can you implement these changes in your next design?
How might you share this tuning process with colleagues at your school?
Download REAL Projects DIY Manual module 4 in FULL below: